Curriculum and Organization
Master of Arts SUPSI in Theatre
Specialization in Physical theatre
According to the Routledge Companion to Theatre and Performance (revised edition, 2017), “Physical theatre generally denotes performances that do not begin with a written theatrical text, but instead evolve from the adaptation of a story or another non dramatic text, improvisation and conception, movement and dance, or from a starting point that is visual, thematically or beyond disciplinary boundaries”. If we add the key notion of the creative actor (“cre-actor”), which combines the three functions of author, director and actor, this is an appropriate description of the creative practices and necessary skills that the ATD Physical theatre course aims to convey.
Specialization in Teatro di figura: material, object and puppet theatre.
Theater with figures focuses on a form of theater that uses puppets, objects, or simply different materials instead of living actors. Its fascination is the way inanimate matter is set in motion and therefore comes alive, it appears alive. The “Animation Theatre”, therefore, can be understood as a model for the actor’s work in traditional literary or dramatic theater: to give life, the possibility to exist, to fictional characters, the sum of the words “death”.
The addition of this new specialization to the existing Physical theatre underlines the central element of MA’s program at the ATD, the expressive medium of the body. By comparing the living human with the animate material body we stimulate the discourse on the body itself: what makes a body “human”? What is the meaning and value of the body in contemporary society? What is its future?
First group - 'Campus' (modules taken within the Master Campus CH)
- Seminars dedicated to practical and theoretical aspects of theater, performance analysis, artistic research, project management.
- Individual research related to the student’s specialization and the requirements of the project
Second group - Acting and staging
- Practical courses of physical training, acting and animation of inanimate matter
- Methods of conceiving a theatrical performance
- Workshops for the practical research in the movement / Workshops for the construction of objects and puppets for the spectacle
Third group - Production and theoretical reflection
- Staging and performance of a short original piece
- Conception and performance of an ensemble piece staged by a director
- Specialization Physical theatre: develop a Master’s project from idea to performance / Specialization Teatro di Figura: develop and present a Master’s show as a group work (2-4 members)
- In addition to practice, a theoretical reflection is necessary, to be presented both as an essay and as a recitation of a paper, or in another written or visual form that combines different media
Acting - Actor skills
What to communicate - find and define a theme
Dramaturgy - create a structure
Analysis and reflection
Theatre schools and academies
- Master Campus Theater CH
- E:UTSA – Europe: Union of Theatre Schools and Academies
- Department of Alternative and Puppet Theatre, Theatre Faculty, Academy of Performing Arts, Prague (Master of Arts)
- Department of Puppetry and Department of Play and Object, The Ernst Busch University of Dramatic Art, Berlin
- Bachelor Puppetry and Animation, Institute of the Performing Arts, State University of Music and the Performing Arts, Stuttgart
- School of Visual Theatre, Jerusalem
Theatre companies and institutions
- Continuo Theatre, Malovice, Czech Republic
- Società Svizzera di Studi Teatrali
- Society for Artistic Research